Monday, November 5, 2012

Show and Tell . . . Careers

Today I am linking up for a new blog hop, Show and Tell Monday, over with Becky at From Mrs. to Mama.

I wanted to participate in today's blog hop because I absolutely love my job.

1. Tell us what you studied in college.  Is your job now related to what you studied?  I received my English Education degree from Southeast Missouri State.  I only taught for 2 years, though.  Currently, and for my entire future, I am a travel agent and I absolutely loved it.

2. Tell us what your everyday job looks like.  Each day is totally different.  I go in to the office 2 days a week and work from my home office the rest of the days.  My days consist of answering phone calls and emails, quoting prices of trips, and trying to find the best vacation spots for my clients' money.

3. Do you have a picture of you at work?  Show us.  I do, in fact, have a picture of myself at work.  Sometimes this job is really tough.
   
4. In 10 years, what do you see yourself doing?  Same thing?  More?  Tell us.  In 10 years I definitely see myself still in the travel business.  My ultimate goal is to own my own agency.  I'm not sure if that will happen in the next 10 year time frame but it will definitely happen.

5. Tell us what you have learned, and what (if any) recommendations you may have for those looking to go into the field you are in.  The most important thing I can tell anyone interested in going into the travel industry is that you have to have a love for travel, food, culture, and people.  This is definitely not a job in which you are going to make tons and tons of money so you have to do it because you truly love it.  Also, you will have to learn to be patient with people and know that you have to gain their trust before they become life-long and repeat clients.  Finally, you need to learn how to "sell" yourself without coming off as a salesman.  You really have to be able to explain the reasons and benefits of using a travel agent rather than them going out online and booking trips themselves.


I'd love to read about your career.  Link up with Becky and tell us what you do!

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome job! BTW -- I am a SEMO grad as well. I graduated in 2000 with a BS in Business Management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, wish my career pics looked like that!!! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a great job! I'm so jealous! No one ever asks me about my job because it's SO boring! Although I'm a total nerd and love it. :) Although I'd trade it for yours in a second!

    ReplyDelete