Friday, January 13, 2012

Fitness Friday-Zumba

It has been a LONG time since I've written about fitness.  It's not that I haven't been working out, eating healthfully, and doing all of the right things but it's just that I have been bored with it all.  Yes, I know that being healthy is a lifestyle change and I have fully bought in to it but just like I get bored in life sometimes, I have been bored with working out.  Nothing has been exciting.  I have tons of workout series and dvds including:

Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred
Shaun T & Beach Body's Insanity
JM Shred with Weights
JM 6 Week 6 Pack
Jackie Warner's 40 Minute Power Circuit (which I still love)
Gold's Gym Fitness Ball workout
The Burn


and I'm sure a few more that I can't remember.  It just got to the point where they weren't fun anymore.

Enter . . . ZUMBA.

OMG!  Talk about fun!  It is like being out in a club dancing all night long with a bunch of girlfriends without the alcohol, smoke, drunk guys trying to hit on you or rub up against you and you don't have to worry about your hair and make-up.  It's the best of ALL worlds!

I've seen the commercials advertising a Zumba dvd series and I haven't bought it yet because I'm afraid it will take some of the enjoyment out of it.  For me, half of the fun is being in the room with a bunch of women (and a couple spare guys here or there) and shaking my booty.  The instructor that I love to go to, Ashley, is amazing and it isn't just all Latin songs (which I do like) but also current hip hop songs, too.  It almost reminds me of cheerleading days and learning routines only when I leave, I am covered in sweat.  Dripping really.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about that I found on You Tube.



Try doing these types of dances for an hour and see if you aren't sweating?  Not only is Zumba a great workout but on average you burn between 500-700 calories.  Woohoo!

Have you found a new workout that you are obsessed with?  I'd love to hear about it because I am always looking to keep things interesting!

I'm posting this over at Jill's site.  Come check out some other bloggers interested in fitness.

8 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about Zumba... but have been a little intimidated to check it out. This makes me want to go! Visiting from fitness friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Zumba!! The first time I went I was intimidated at first! Everyone seemed to know what they were doing! The girlfriend that I went w/ told me that all the "experts" were regulars and knew alot of the moves!! Now I love it!

    Coming from the FFBH!!

    www.lgifit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, message me where you go and what nights... I'm interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you! Finding something that you LOVE with fitness is SO important :) I gotta try Zumba!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your "About Me" page! I am so glad that you linked up to the party. I am now a follower to your blog. I also think your twitter bio is perfect! Can't wait to follow along with you and your blog some more : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know so many people who love Zumba. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe after I finish P90X2.

    How do you like Insanity? I keep toying with the idea of ordering that, too.

    Came over from Jill's blog hop!
    Blessings,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zumba is fun!! I am still hooked on P90Xand biking at the gym...seems enough variety to keep me happy!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Zumba!!! And now someone is going to teach it in the little town that's only 9 miles from me. :)

    Shannon
    Http://www.everystepcounts365.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete