Monday, August 29, 2011

10 Day You Challenge


Once again, today's topic is going to be a tough one for me.  I am supposed to discuss four books.  I have read literally thousands of books so I have no idea how I am going to pick out just four but I decided to pick the four books that immediately come to my mind.  Each of these books have either inspired me or stuck with me in some way through the years.

4 Books

{1} The Bible-While I have definitely not read the entire Bible cover to cover, I'm sure through the years I have either read or heard every single page of it.  No matter what "genre" of reading you prefer, you can find it in the Bible.  Words to live by, words to inspire, love songs, death and destruction.  It is all in the Bible and it has definitely been the one constant throughout my life.

{2} Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.  This book captured me from the very beginning and I could not put it down.  It is set in the 12th century and the story is about the building of a cathedral but it is about so much more than that.  While reading it, I kept comparing it to an epic movie such as Braveheart.  I could see all of the scenes unfold in my mind as if I were watching a movie instead of reading a book and I was actually sad when I finished it.
PillarsOfTheEarth.jpg
{3} Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels with Mariska Van Aalst.  This book has changed my life.  It has changed the way I look at food and it has made me very conscientious of the food I feed my family.  Since reading this book, I have lost at least 6lbs only from making the small change of eating as close to 100% organic that I can.  This book is full of shocking information about pesticides, antibiotics, and hormones and is full of recipes, as well.

{4} The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  This is the book that solidified the fact that I wanted to be an English teacher.  Of course, that dream eventually changed when I realized that I was not going to actually be able to teach Literature right out of the gate but I fell in love with the process of story writing, development of character, foil, and descriptive writing through reading this book.  This is another book in which I could imagine every scene unfolding as I read page after page.  I love this book as much today as I first did all of those years ago.
The cover of the first edition of The SAM SCHMIDT, 1925.





1 comment: