Monday, May 23, 2011

God's Lesson to Me

Do you remember this mug?  It was part of my 2010 Favorite Things post.  I bought this coffee mug in the Spring of 2001 at the Seattle Space Needle gift shop and it has been my absolute favorite coffee mug ever since.  The handle is big enough to fit my whole hand so that I dont have to just hold it with my thumb and forefinger, the lip of the cup is thick enough so that it actually fits my mouth rather than having to purse my lips together, it is deep enough so that I dont have to go fill it up within 5 minutes of pouring the first cup.  I could go on and on about the reasons why I love this cup.

Sunday afternoon I was putting dishes away and I opened up a cabinet and CRASH!

You have no idea how upset I was.  I got a little choked up as I saw all of the little ceramic pieces laying everywhere.  Kanin was there with me and he kept apologizing.  He saw little tears forming in my eyes and he knew how sad I was.  I told him that that it wasn't his fault and that it was OK but he knew that it was my favorite cup and it was sweet that he was upset for me.  Scott walked downstairs and saw it and even he told me that he was sorry and that he'd try to find me another one just like it.

Later on, storms rolled across Southwest Missouri and this happened to the people of Joplin, MO:




When I went to bed last night I knew that a tornado had hit Joplin, MO, but I had no idea the devastation that had occurred.  I woke this morning around 6:00am and checked my phone.  I saw an update on Facebook from KSDK (a local news station) saying that 89 people were confirmed dead.  I was in shock.  I woke Scott up to tell him and he was in disbelief, as well.  I went downstairs and turned on the news and I was blown away at the devastation of this town. 

All day I was glued to the internet and TV trying to find out more information.  A first person account video/audio was taken during the storm and I saw it posted on Facebook today.  Let me just warn you that it is terrifying, horrifying, and actually made me a little nauseas to listen to.  A nightmare come true.  I am NOT being overly dramatic.  It is disturbing.  You can see it here if you want.

As the day progressed, we decided to go do a bit of shopping before even more storms came through St. Louis.  While driving down the road, God taught me a little lesson.  On the same day that I was devastated about my silly little coffee mug later that same day people lost everything.  Here I was feeling sorry for myself and making a big deal about stupid cup when in only a few shorts hours many of my fellow Missourians would lose their homes, their cars, their jobs, their lives.  I was so upset that my coffee mug was shattered into little pieces while people's houses and lives were shattered and splintered and ripped away.  How petty of me to make such a big deal about such a minute thing.  Of course, I didn't know at the time of the impending devastation but it just showed me that I can get so wrapped up about the littlest of things.

I am not a believer in that popular saying "All Things Happen For a Reason."  I don't believe that.  I don't believe that there is a reason that 116 people have lost their lives, people have no place to go, a whole city has been devastated, a region has lost a hospital, and people's lives will never be the same.  I don't think that God made this horrible event happen.  Sometimes bad things just happen and there is no explanation.

The region is in dire need of help.  Anything and I mean anything you can send would be so appreciated.

If you would like to help the people of Joplin, MO, please text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. 

You can also make a direction donation to:

Southwest Missouri Bank
Red Cross Joplin Tornado Fund
110 Neosho Blvd
Neosho, MO  64850

1 comment:

  1. This was such a well written post. And so true. Thank you for the reminder that there is so much more important things to be concerned about than the silly little things we focus on in our own lives.

    ReplyDelete